Monday, May 30, 2011

The Weirdness Of My Fellow Survivors

Today is day 4 (?) of my survival. I took it upon myself to adventure on foot to the gas station about 2 miles from my house to scavenge for some beef sticks and gasoline for the boyfriend to mow the lawn with. The yard around the base is coming together pretty awesomely if I don’t say so myself. I personally tore one my flower beds up to plant some vegetables in. I now have a nice mini-garden that is LITERALLY right outside my door. Thus making it an easily defendable source of food.

Back to my journey to the gas station, what a weird flippin’ walk that turned out to be. Wow. Okay so for starters I went through the woods because there is more cover and plenty of objects to use for weapons. (Also because it is a hell of a lot shorter than walking down highway 131.) I came out of the woods into this huge, over grown field and as I was approaching the end of it near the road I got stung by a bee. I bolted out of the field swatting at my legs frantically in the middle of the road only to discover that I ran out in front of a car full of survivors. They looked at me with my huge backpack kit and my empty gas can (which had be discarded in my flight from the bees…) like I was totally nuts. I smiled and sort of laughed as I ran back out of the road to get my gas can. They drove off and stared at me out the back window until I was out of sight. Pshh. I bet they don’t have a Zombie Sizzle Survival Kit.

 So I continue down a second path through the woods and emerge at the Meijer gas station. I filled my little red can with gas and went inside to pay. (I pretended that I hand-pumped it and as much of it as I spilt all over myself I might as well have.) I grabbed a Jamaican Jerk Beef Stick and bottled water before heading for the register. As it is Memorial Day the place was packed with survivors and the lady running the register just happened to notice that there was nobody at pump “2” but there was gas to be paid for. She starts panicking!  The people in the line all move towards the window and look out into the parking lot and I am like… “Hey! It’s okay! That is my gas.” The lady rounds on me and confronts me about moving my car before paying. I inform her that I walked and I didn’t want to pay at the pump. Then she notices I don’t have the red gas can inside and asks me what I put my gas in. She was kind of pissy about it too.

When I left the gas station after my encounter with my odd fellow survivors, I started out for the woods. I took about 15 steps and this poor toad jumped out of nowhere right as I was lifting my foot. I smoked him and he went flying into the brush. At least he won’t become zombie food. Or survivor food. I had my beef stick already so I was content.
Walking down 131 a survivor in a small SUV, maybe like a Ford Escape, asked me if I wanted a ride. I am generally wary of other survivors but she had 2 little wiener dogs and seemed nice so I jumped in. As soon I was in I realized I should have kept walking. She informed me that she was heading for Grand Rapids and was documenting her entire journey. In exchange for the ride she was going to need to take my picture. Huh. I was totally creeped out but had little choice but to agree. She dropped me off at my base and promptly declared that I had no car. (Which I don’t!) She than grabbed an old style digital camera, and snapped an awkward photo of me with shaking hands. I smiled, sort of, and ran through the front doors of my base. Weird people. How did they end up as the survivors anyway?!

P.S
I would like to and an ammendment to the Kit List. If you can get your hands on a pair of those bright pink, elbow high, kitchen cleaning gloves... do it. Just take my word for this one.

P.P.S
You know how in Zombie Movies the girls always have super tight, skimpy clothing on? Well. I agree with that completely. Just walking through the woods the branches were grabbing at me and slowing me down. Imagine what the undead could do with all that leverage!!

No comments:

Post a Comment